What do you do when your child is not even 2 for Christmas? Do you still splash out on presents? Do you make the effort of taking them to Christmas events that have Santa Claus available for viewings? Is there anything she needs at this age?
Maisie’s first Christmas, we bought her one large gift to help encourage with her standing up and walking so it was a useful gift but she had no clue. I took her to see Santa Claus as well and she had no idea. Due to my own excitement, I kept trying to take her to loads of Christmassy things but in the end, it proved more effort for me for no reason really.
This year, it’s a little different because she is quick at catching on but I don’t know what stage she is at. If she knows anything that is going on or not, I am figuring it out still but I have learnt this so far.
Tips to Remember:
1) If taking them out to see Santa Claus, try and keep it indoors. They really miserable if they are cold. We tried the Christmas lights at Kew Gardens and it didn’t go well at this age
2) Don’t spend a lot of money on these things. They really don’t stay interested for very long and you can get frustrated when all they want to do is leave
3) Don’t buy irrelevant presents because you think you should be spoiling them at any age.
4) Put money aside for when a present is needed or relevant – they wouldn’t know if it was a present or not
5) This is the age they can start getting into Arts and Crafts, get some Christmas stencils and this can be some stress free fun for you and your toddler
6) When decorating, make sure it is shatterproof and up high if can be damaged or pulled down. Christmas tree decorations can be a huge hazard, so keep them away as they will pull down anything!
7) Watch Christmas Movies! They have started noticing now so keep that holiday music and cheer coming
8) Buy batteries in advance if buying a toy that requires them so you don’t forget. The worst that can happen is if they can’t play with them after getting them
9) Go out for walks. It is so easy to socialise with family and forget that your child has been indoors all day going stir crazy
10) Avoid naughty foods. Everyone at Christmas has naughties but try and refrain from giving your toddler lots, even though it is a special occasion
11) Keep them in their routine if you can 😂
I wish you all luck for this Christmas holiday as it is hard work for adults now. We don’t have that ‘school break’ anymore or getting lots of gifts ourselves. We are now the bank and in charge. Thank God for Santa Claus for a bit of help! 😉